Research & Conferences
Shaping the Future of the International Monetary System
| Wednesday, 26 May 2010 |
Hotel Sheraton, Warsaw
Preliminary programme of the conference
| 08:00 – 09:00 || |
Registration of participants
| 09:00 – 09:10 || |
- Piotr Wiesiołek - First Deputy President, National Bank of Poland
| 09:10 – 09:30 || |
Address by the Honorary Guest
- Robert A. Mundell, Professor of economics at Columbia University, recipient of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics
| 09:30 – 11:00 || Session I |
RECENT TENDENCIES IN THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY SYSTEM
Chairman: Witold Koziński - Deputy President, National Bank of Poland
- Emergence of “Chimerica” and its impact on the world economy.
- Carry trade and repatriation rally.
- Are BRIC countries’ currencies to play a dominant role in the system?
- Subir Gokarn – Deputy Governor, Reserve Bank of India
- Eisuke Sakakibara – Professor, Waseda University
- Lawrenece Schembri – Chief of International Economic Analysis Department, Bank of Canada
- Tiehang Niu– Senior Fellow, China Center for International Economic Exchanges
| 11:00 – 11:15 || |
| 11:15 - 12:45 || Session II |
THE EURO AND ITS INTERNATIONAL DIMENSION
Chairman: Stanisław Gomułka, former Deputy Minister of Finance
- The review of the euro’s role as an international currency. Being second best: curse or blessing in disguise.
- Stability at the expense of growth: not very appealing for the rest of the world.
- Promoting international role of the euro.
- Thierry Bracke - Head of the Division ECB
- Harold James - Professor of History and International Affairs, Princeton University
- David Marsh – Chairman, London and Oxford Group
- Wilhelm Noelling - Professor of Political Sciences, University of Hamburg
- Adam S. Posen – Senior Fellow, Peterson Institute for International Economics
| 12:45 – 14:00 || |
| 14:00 - 15:30 || Session III |
NEW REGIONAL CURRENCY BLOCS
Chairman: Krzysztof Rybiński - former Deputy President, National Bank of Poland; Professor of Economics, Warsaw School of Economics
- Far East Asia: Is the euro posing a feasible alternative or merely a kind of inspiration?
- GCC currency union - inspired by the euro, dependent on dollar?
- Americas: from the dollar area into the uncharted territories.
- It the era of cheap oil over?
- Fahad Aldossari - Head of Money and Banking Division, Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency
- Jihad Azour - Vice President - Senior Executive Advisor, Booz and Company
- Romulo Martinez - Operations Officer, OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID)
- Paweł Olejarnik – Energy Analyst, International Energy Agency
- Philip Poole - Global Head of Emerging Markets Research, HSBC
- Samir Ranjan Pradhan – Senior Researcher, Gulf Researcher Center
| 15:30 – 15:45 || |
| 15:45 - 17:00 || Session IV|
COORDINATION OF THE SYSTEM: A PRECONDITION FOR OVERCOMING CURRENT PROBLEMS
Chairman: Marc Uzan – Executive Director, Reinventing Bretton Woods Committee
- Was La Plaza a real success or was it a one-off reason for the emergence of the Japanese bubble?
- Conditions necessary to ensure world wide coordination of the system.
- What are the key factors necessary to view the La Plaza II as a success?
- Rishi Goyal - Senior Economist, International Monetary Found
- Mirosław Gronicki - former Minister of Finance
- Ousmene Mandeng – Head of Public Sector Investment Advisory, Ashmore Investment Management Limited UK
- Jerzy Osiatyński - former Minister of Finance
| 17:00 – 17:30 || |