About the NBP: Structure
Payment Systems Department
Director: Adam Tochmanski
The Payment Systems Department is the unit of the NBP Head Office that performs tasks related to the operation and development of the Polish payment system, the oversight of the systems operated within the domestic payment systems, analyzing the performance of payment systems in other countries and cross-border payment systems, developing standards in this field at the NBP, operating the accounts of banks, and performing inter-bank settlements.
The Department's basic tasks are as follows:
- Developing overall lines of strategic changes within the Polish payment system and initiating measures aimed, inter alia, at minimizing the systemic risk in the payment system, facilitating payment transactions and increasing their safety, promoting non-cash settlements.
- Gathering information and data related to payment system and conducting analyses and research of: the performance of the Polish payment system; the operation of payment systems in other countries; the operation of cross-border payment systems (TARGET2 in particular); the links between the payment system, the securities settlement systems and the systems for the settlement of foreign exchange transactions; and the turnover of non-cash transactions in Poland and other countries.
- Overseeing domestic payment systems and the systems for authorization and settlement operated by settlement agents other than banks.
- Analyzing securities settlement systems operated by the NBP and the National Depository for Securities S.A. and performing oversight of securities settlement systems operating in Poland.
- Determining the way of assigning numbers to bank accounts operated by banks, the manner of performing interbank settlements, the conditions for opening and operating accounts of domestic banks in the NBP.
- Conducting and coordinating work on the standards within the NBP, excluding issues related to the electronic document interchange as well as backup and computerization of clerical activities.
- Cooperating with banks, clearing houses and other domestic and foreign entities regarding issues related to the operation and development of the payment system.
- Operating accounts of banks in Polish zloty and euro, including:
- preparing bank account agreements detailing the terms and conditions for the NBP's operation of accounts of banks and other entities (within SORBNET2 and TARGET2-NBP systems),
- accepting and executing payment orders of banks, the NBP and other entities that hold their accounts at the Department,
- ongoing servicing of real-time gross settlement system (SORBNET2 and TARGET2-NBP), assessing its performance, preparing and implementing new solutions to it, and improving the system's communication with other IT systems operated at the NBP (inter alia, securities settlement systems) and externally.
- cooperation with the Domestic Operations Department with respect to the required reserves, refinancing loans, intraday credit facility denominated in Polish zloty and intraday credit facility denominated in euro, open market operations and operations regarding treasury bills and the NBP money market bills.
- Performing tasks related to:
- Operating the NBP's RTGS account in euro in TARGET2-NBP system,
- NBP participation in TARGET2 and STEP-2 systems,
- Ongoing servicing of TARGET2-NBP system and the assessment of its performance; cooperation with the European Central Bank and other central banks in preparing system upgrade proposals.
- Maintaining accounting records of performed monetary operations, inventorying cash, other account receivables and payables, and performing financial reporting based on the accounting books entries.