The basic tasks of NBP with regard to statistics include:
- collection, processing and ongoing analysis of data concerning:
- the balance of payments, foreign debt and international investment position;
- information included in bank balance sheets, which is utilised for shaping monetary policy and banking supervision;
- bank interest rates;
- the economic standing of business entities, including business climate and monetary policy transmission mechanisms;
- work on the methodology of calculation and presentation of monetary statistics and the balance of payments.
Preparations are also in progress with regard to extending the range of statistical research conducted. New research areas include quarterly financial accounts, collection of data from non-bank financial institutions, as well as data concerning the issue of securities.
The processed data are submitted to international organisations such as the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development and the Bank for International Settlements. The collaboration with the European Central Bank is particularly close due to NBP's participation in the European System of Central Banks. The most important task in this area is bringing statistical research in line with European Union requirements.